Now that school is over I spend much more time with my dogs than with my students. It occurred to me that students and dogs share a few characteristics:
- They want constant affirmation.
- Their favorite thing in the world is “to go outside.”
- They always want to be let out to go to the bathroom, but when they go all they do is wander around.
- They can be made happy simply by giving them a treat.
- They always look at you confusedly even though you’ve told them the same thing hundreds of times.
- When they are left alone they are either (a) getting into trouble or (b) sleeping.
- They are completely distracted by something as simple as a squirrel.
- They get really excited when someone new enters the room.
- They don’t clean up after themselves when they make a mess.
- Once they start making noise, it’s nearly impossible to get them to stop.
Of course, there is one BIG difference:
My dogs get really excited when I walk into the room.